North Carolina

Back Again,

The road to Asheville took us through the North Carolina town of Mount Airy where Andy Griffith grew up. There is an Andy Griffith Playhouse and an Andy Griffith Museum and his boyhood home is a Bed and Breakfast in honor of the town’s favorite son. We went into the historic downtown and parked in front of The Snappy Lunch, the town’s oldest continuous eating establishment since 1923 and a North Carolina famous landmark, the home of the famous pork chop sandwich. This is the only restaurant mentioned specifically on the Andy Griffith Show and pictures of all the cast and the many other dignitaries that have been here line the walls. From the outside who would know this was such a special place. But what a surprise! The friendliness of the people was extraordinary. An elderly gentleman, Troy Payne, serenaded his table mate with Christmas Carols and made my day when he wooed me with “Strangers in the Night”.
 Mr. Easter of the Easter Brothers Bluegrass groups posed for a photo. Mary Dowell, owner, shared stories with us of life in Mt .Airy. Main Street was alive with strollers and last minute shoppers, everyone with a smile and a greeting.

 THIS WAS MAYBERRY! Make no mistake about it, this town exhibited ‘life is good.’

Three hours later we arrived at the Grove Park Inn and Spa, one of America’s top 5 spas. Like Grand Central Station people and cars were lined up to arrive at the hotel entrance. While the staff was friendly and welcoming and helpful this was not Mayberry.  This was our home for 3 days. Music, dancing, great food, but spending Christmas Eve at Elaine’s Dueling Pianos Rock and Roll Bar was sure a different Christmas. As holiday guests we received a small fake tree with lights and a package of ornaments so we trimmed the tree at midnight and ate the chocolate treats. On a rainy Christmas morning that washed the snow away wild turkeys pranced up the lawn to eat the berries off the holly tree under our window. Three mornings of the breakfast buffet with the best cheese blintzes in the world and I had gained back the 3 pounds I had lost on the farm. I took advantage of the Spa with its amenities of therapeutic pools and waterfalls and steam rooms and saunas. If I lived here I would be here many times in the week.


So many people we meet have stories to tell. On our last night at Grove Park we began a conversation with a couple who were celebrating their 53 wedding anniversary. They had lived in Saefern near Annapolis for 20 years, now lived in Charleston S.C and were fans of Mayor Riley. They were originally from Michigan and met on Gull Lake where I spent summers when I was in high school. Mrs. Pearce knew my cousin Wes Knapper, “that good looking guy”. I am betting she had a slight crush on him, Small World. Every day we find something in common with the people we meet.

I have seen no evidence of the anger and rage that I have witnessed and experienced in Annapolis. Nor have I witnesses any vitriolic political commentary. The local papers are pretty benign, more about community news and local land issues. If America is going through a temper tantrum I have not witnessed it yet, (except for Dale of course) in the people I have met.

My daughter shared with me a thought for the day from Miracle on 34th Street. I pass it on to you:
“Can’t you ever get over being afraid? Can’t you let yourself believe in people like (Santa Claus), believe in fun and love and joy and all the other intangibles?”
“You can’t pay for life with intangibles”.
“You can’t live a life without them”.

Signing off; ENJOY…,
Ellen

Christmas 2009 at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC:

No comments:

Post a Comment