Houston, San Antonio, TX

It has been at least a month since I’ve shared anything about my hobo auto trip. For those of you who have asked I’ll try to catch you up on some of my experiences. I haven’t had that aha experience yet that points me in the direction of what I want to do with the rest of my life. I have met many interesting people and generally found them to be outgoing and friendly and helpful in our conversations. I have tried to fathom what is on the minds of people across this country. Generally the consensus has been to get out of the wars. But the angry American I hear in Annapolis has not manifested itself in good-natured people I have met.
I was in the State of Texas for 3 weeks since December 30th my destination for the Navy-Missouri Texas Bowl Game. Seats on the 50 yard line, good weather, joined by friends from Annapolis and Baltimore and a great Navy victory…Life was good.
We celebrated the victory on the roof top patio of the Historic St .Anthony Hotel in San Antonia 180 miles south of Houston. January 1, 2010, New Years Day, I was welcomed with an auto break in and theft. Dealing with the police and the insurance took time away from the Riverwalk and all the museums and art galleries that San Antonia has to offer. The Riverwalk is San Antonia’s great visionary idea hatched in 1921 and developed soon after with imaginative architectural details and landscaping. Now 85 years later it is being extended another 2 miles.
What was amazing to me was the progressive foresight, understanding of economic potential and the political will of the city fathers in the 1920’s to accept and complete the vision of young architect Hugman. By contrast in Annapolis the City Council was talking about filling in ego-alley in 1965 and resisting Historic District protection. Some city leaders today have heart-burn over hanging flowers and an Art and Entertainment District and even being part of the National and State Main Street program to enhance economic vitality and build community spirit.
Years ago St. Clair Wright inspired the citizens of Annapolis who voted overwhelmingly to support a Historic District. With the hard work of other city visionaries the maritime, hospitality, leisure industries with attention to the environmental needs of an urban environment was built that brought Annapolis to the Livable Community and Award winning City it is today. San Antonia has grown from a small village in the days of the Alamo in 1836 and with leadership has grown to the 5th largest city in Texas. With respect to economic vitality however, the Annapolis City Council has often been an adversary to the cities leading industries and rarely a leading proponent. San Antonia Riverwalk is known world-wide and is very much alive with people walking, eating, cruising, laughing and enjoying life. The economic down-turn was not visible here.


No comments:

Post a Comment